Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Book of Abraham

 The Book of Abraham lacks credibility as a book that should be a Mormon text. I do not think it really lends much substance to the Mormon ideas found in The Book of Mormon. Actually I do not see how it is seen to have anything to do with anything Mormon except for the fact that Joseph Smith “translated” this from some papyrus that happened to be in his possession.
Facsimile shows damage 

I do not think The Book of Abraham is from 2000 BC because the papyrus this was written on had to be in really rough shape when Smith acquired them after almost 4000 years of their being written. This makes me think the narrative would not be so fluid. There had to be pieces missing from the paper or irreparable damage. The story 
would not have the ability to transition in a semi-coherent fashion.

Other pieces of this story that do not make sense are the pictures, or facsimiles, on the paper. They have probably been misinterpreted. I think scholars in Egyptian history and hieroglyphics would probably read these differently than Joseph Smith has presented them. I just do not think the bird on the first facsimile is supposed to be an angel from God.

The Book of Abraham is a book translated by Joseph Smith that does not advance his message in my opinion. I think it is just an odd attempt at showing his followers that he truly is a prophet because he can translate “ancient Egyptian texts.” These texts had to be fairly roughed up, meaning they could not have told a fluid story effectively. I have much doubt about Smith’s translation being legitimate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment